EU and Member States
Political decision makers and authorities can reduce the impact of wood burning by establishing the right framework conditions. Apart from measures on local and regional level, Member States should focus on effective implementation of legislation and market surveillance. On EU level, ambitious standards for air quality have to be ensured and developped further.
- Stricter standards for air quality: Both the European Union and the Member States should consider the WHO recommendations as standard for air quality. In addition, requirements for the maximum concentration of ultrafine particles should be introduced.
- Member States with emission limit values below the Ecodesign requirements should introduce more ambitious legislation to pave the way for the stricter standards (including ambitious regulation for the replacement/shutdown of old appliances). More resources and effective structures for market surveillance have to be established.
- Harmonized and more realistic measurement procedure in the course of type approval of stoves and boilers within the EU, reflecting better the actual emission performance. Introduction of a robust measurement procedure for particle number and determination of adequate limit values (analogous to the development of emission standards in the traffic sector).
- Requirements and economic incentives for energy renovation and insulation of existing buildings have to be extended. The same holds true for funding programmes for solar heat, geothermal energy and biomass appliances, provided that they show a comparable low level of particulate matter like other heat sources.
- Better information for consumers: Mandatory proof of origin for firewood and pellets and establishment of ambitious eco-labels for stoves and boilers.
Recommendations for National Air Pollution Control Programs
Based on the National Emission Ceilings Dircective (NEC Directive), Member States have to develop measures to reduce fine particles and other air pollutants:
Recommendations and positive examples as download (PDF)